Granite countertops are the most sought after material for most home kitchens. They are durable, beautiful and a symbol of high quality interior design. If you have countertops, it is essential that you care for them properly in order to achieve the best look and to preserve the quality for many years to come. Here are 5 tips for keeping your granite countertops clean.
- First you will need to effectively prep the countertops for cleaning. You can do this by making sure to remove any items or appliances from the counter surface. Next, wipe away any debris that may be present. Wipe up any spills or sticky substances. Always do this as soon as you notice a spill to prevent staining and any other damage. Next, wash the countertops down with some soapy water and a sponge in order to remove any further particles that may have been left behind. Use a rag to dry this up.
- Next you will need to buy or make a granite countertop cleaner. Instead of spending lots of money on fancy cleaners, you can actually make a cleaning formula yourself from the comfort of your own home for a fraction of the price! Make sure that any ingredients you include in your formula are acid free as well as pH balanced. Next, fill a bucket with warm water and if possible, try to use filtered water for the best results. You will them add a mild dish detergent and some rubbing alcohol into the bucket. The detergent and alcohol should be used with a 3 to 1 ratio. Alcohol is effective because it is an antiseptic, however it has a pH level of 7, which is the same as water. Mix the ingredients and then allow the formula to cool so that is it warm, but not scalding hot.
- Always stay away from products that include ingredients such as ammonia, vinegar or lemon. These cleaners should never be used on granite. While granite is durable, these ingredients eat away at the granite with time due to their high acidity levels.
- When you are ready to apply the cleaning solution to your countertops, be sure to use a white cloth. You want to use a cloth that will not leave behind any excess fibers while you clean. Soak the towel completely in the cleaner and then ring it out to begin cleaning the surface.
- Once clean, you will finally need to buff and dry your granite countertops. Use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the counters in a circular motion. This can help to reduce or remove streaks and lines and will also ensure that your counters really gleam and shine.
When cleaning your granite countertops from Marble & Granite Works, these tips will ensure that you get the deepest, most noticeable clean possible. Be sure to use products that are safe to prevent any deterioration in the quality of your granite. Always prep, wash, buff and dry for a through clean that will keep your countertops looking their very best for a long time.